Re: Growing RAID10 with active XFS filesystem

On 12/01/18 14:25, Emmanuel Florac wrote:
My point is that all this causes geometries to change, and ext and
btrfs amongst others can clearly handle this. Can XFS?

Neither XFS, ext4 or btrfs can handle this. That's why Dave mentioned
the fact that growing your RAID is almost always the wrong solution.
A much better solution is to add a new array and use LVM to aggregate
it with the existing ones.

Does the new array need the same geometry as the old one?

What happens if my original array is a 4-disk raid-5, and then I add a 3-disk raid-5? Can XFS cope with the different optimisations required for the different layouts on the different arrays?

Basically growing an array then the filesystem on it generally works
OK, BUT it may kill performance (or not). YMMV. At least, you *probably
won't* get the performance gain that the difference of stripe width
would permit when starting anew.

Cheers,
Wol