Re: Growing RAID10 with active XFS filesystem

On 13/01/18 03:35, Wol's lists wrote:

I'll get round to writing all this up soon, so the wiki will try and persuade people that resizing arrays is not actually the brightest of ideas.

Now hang on. Don't go tarring every use case with the same brush.

There are many use cases for a bucket of disks and high performance is but one of them.

Leaving aside XFS, let's look at EXT3/4 as they seem to be generally the most common filesystems in use for your average "install it and run it" user (ie *ME*).

If you read the mke2fs man page and check out stripe and stride (which you *used* to have to specify manually), both of them imply they are important for letting the filesystem know the construction of your RAID for *performance* reasons.

Nowhere does *anything* make any mention of changing geometry, and if you gave a 10 second thought to those parameters and their explanations you'd have to think "This filesystem was optimised for the RAID geometry it was built with. If I change that, then I won't have the same performance I did have at the time of creation". Or maybe that was only obvious to me.

Anyway, I happily grew several large arrays over the years *knowing* that there would be a performance impact, because for my use case I didn't actually care.

"Enterprise" don't grow arrays. They build a storage solution that is often extremely finely tuned for exactly their workload and they use it. If they need more storage they either replicate or build another (with the consequential months of tests/tuning) storage configuration. I see Stan Hoeppner replied. If you want a good read, get him going on workload specific XFS tuning.

It's only hacks like me that tack disks onto built arrays, but I did it *knowing* it wasn't going to affect my workload as all I wanted was a huge bucket of storage with quick reads. Writes don't happen often enough to matter.

Exposing the geometry to the filesystem is there to give the filesystem a chance of performing operations in a manner least likely to create a performance hotspot (as pointed out by Dave Chinner). They are hints. Change the geometry after the fact and all bets are off.

On another note, personally I've used XFS in a couple of performance sensitive roles over the years (when it *really* mattered), but as I don't often wade into that end of the pool I tend to stick with the ext series.

e2fsck has gotten me out of some really tight spots and I can rely on it making the best of a really bad mess. With XFS I've never had the pleasure of running it on anything other than top of the line hardware, so it never had to clean up after me. It does go like a stung cat though when it's tuned up.

If I were to suggest an addition to the RAID wiki, it'd be to elaborate on the *creation* time tuning a filesystem create tool does with the RAID geometry, and to point out that once you grow the RAID, all performance bets are off. I've never met a filesystem that would break however.

I've grown RAID 1, 5 & 6. Growing RAID10 with anything other than a near configuration and adding another set of disks just feels like a disaster waiting to happen. Even I'm not that game.

I do have a staging machine now with a few spare disks, so I might have a crack at it, but I won't be using a kernel and userspace as old as the thread initiator.

Regards,
Brad