Re: RAID5 devices assemble into RAID0 array

I need to tie off this thread.

I got my data. I ended up manually (scriptly) merging all the strips.

On later test RAID5 arrays, I removed all the devices. Then I recorded the configuration of the array from the metadata in the devices. I cleared the superblocks on the devices and then recreated the array. Of importance were level, chunk size, and device order. Data offset and layout were the default so I didn't specify them. The data area was not changed and, with the same configuration as the last array, was in a sane format.

Therefore, from my experience, the best way to recover a FAILED array is to recreate a new array with the same devices and settings.

If anyone less noobish can give a better answer, I welcome it.

PS

Of course, this only works if the RAID devices were manually marked as failed and really are still good.