Re: RAID5 devices assemble into RAID0 array

On 26/11/17 17:29, Duane wrote:
> You're right I failed and removed device 3, then failed and removed
> device 2, which broke my array.
>
> Let's assume I haven't messed things up any more than I already have.
>
> Is there a method to reverse the above operations for device 2 and
> device 3?
>
> Thanks, Duane

My raid-fu is mostly theoretical, but what I would try is as follows.

It's assembled the broken array as md0, so

mdadm /dev/md0 --re-add /dev/device2

followed by

mdadm /dev/md0 --re-add /dev/device3

That won't cause any further damage, and may work fine.

Beyond that, I wouldn't like to suggest anything - if it doesn't work
you'll probably need to use things like --force, which could easily
break stuff. But re-add will probably work. And my syntax might not work
- you might need to specify the mode like --grow or --manage, I don't know.

Suck it and see, at least this won't do any damage, and if it doesn't
work we'll have to wait for further advice.

Cheers,
Wol