Re: RAID5 up, but one drive removed, one says spare building, what now?

> On Nov 10, 2017, at 10:01 AM, Phil Turmel <philip@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Jun-Kai,
>
> {Convention on kernel.org is to trim replies and avoid top-posting.}
>
> On 11/10/2017 12:25 PM, Jun-Kai Teoh wrote:
>> I was reshaping/growing my array when it died. Computer came back up
>> but array wouldn't assemble.
>>
>> I looked around and saw some commands on how to assemble without the
>> one drive that looked like it was kicked off sometime ago that I did
>> not realize (I used --assemble --force --verbose)
>>
>> I kept getting the error that there were 6 drives, 1 rebuilding, and
>> not enough to get the array up. I unplugged the one drive that had the
>> incorrect superblock and ran "mdadm -A -R".
>>
>> It ran and looked like it was resuming reshaping but it got really
>> slow - like 7 years slow.
>>
>> I killed the process, rebooted the machine, and it just auto
>> reassembled the array and automounted it on boot.
>>
>> Am in the process of backup right now.
>>
>> And yes, the drive/array is mounted.
>
> Ok.  I reviewed the other thread.  Consider creating a new array from
> scratch after you complete your backups, using consistent partitioning
> across all devices.  I would put LVM on top and leave part of it
> unallocated (for emergencies), but that's just my preference.
>
> Phil

My apologies all! I did not know this.

I'm backing up as much as I can, but I don't think I'll be able to back up everything. I can back up very little of the data, so I'm trying to prioritize carefully right now.

All devices are just 4TB drives, I didn't partition them separately for the array - or am I misunderstanding what you mean? <-- This is really common, all of you are far more knowledgeable than I am and I only understand some of the terms sometimes.