Re: Raid 5 array down/missing - went through wiki steps

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Jun-Kai Teoh <kai.teoh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for the response Anthony & Mark, really appreciate how helpful
> both of you are.
>
> I did try to reassemble last night (before I found the wiki and all)
> and it would assemble, but then it'll say it can't bring the array up
> 6 drives with 1 rebuilding, and the array thinks that there should be
> 8 drives. Does that mean I'm... screwed?
>
> mdadm version (mdadm --version)
> mdadm - v3.3 - 3rd September 2013
>
> kernel (uname -mrsn)
> Linux livingrm-server 4.4.0-97-generic x86_64
>
> distro
> Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
>
> On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Anthony Youngman
> <antlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 28/10/17 19:36, Jun-Kai Teoh wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Hope this email is going to the right place.
>>>
>>> I'll cut to the chase - I added a drive to my RAID 5 and was resyncing
>>> when my machine was abruptly powered down. Upon booting it up again,
>>> my RAID array is now missing.
>>>

>> I've seen Mark's replies, so ...
>>
>>> I've followed the instructions that I've found on the wiki, and it
>>> hasn't solved my issues, but it's given me a sense of the things that
>>> I'm hoping can help you guys help me troubleshoot.
>>>
>> Found where? Did you look at the front page? Did you look at "When things go
>> wrogn"?
>>
>>> My array can't be assembled. It tells me that the superblock on
>>> /dev/sda doesn't match the others.
>>>
>>> /dev/sda thinks the array has 7 drives
>>> /dev/sd[bcefghi] thinks the array has 8 drives
>>>
>> The event count tells me sda was kicked out of the array a LONG time ago -
>> you were running a degraded array, sorry.
>>
>>> /dev/sda was not being reshaped
>>> /dev/sd[bcefghi] has reshape position data in the raid.status file
>>>
>>> both /dev/sda and /dev/sdh think their device role is Active device 2
>>>
>>> I can't bring /dev/md126 back up with sd[bcefghi] as it'll tell me
>>> that there are 6 drives and 1 rebuilding, not enough to start the
>>> array
>>>
>>> My mdadm.conf shows a /dev/dev/127 with very minimal info in it - does
>>> not look right to me.
>>>
>>> I haven't zeroed the superblock, nor have I tried a clean-assemble
>>> either. I saw the wiki say I should email the group if I've gotten
>>> that far and I'm panicking and nothing's working. So...
>>>
>>> Help me out, pretty please?
>>

>> Okay, I *think* you're going to be okay. The powerfail brought the machine
>> down, and because the array was degraded, it wouldn't re-assemble. Like
>> Mark, I'd wait for the experts to get on the case on Monday, but what I
>> think they will advise is
>>
>> One - --assemble --force [bcdefghi] - note do NOT include the failed drive
>> a. This will fire off the reshape again. BUT. On a degraded array you have
>> no redundancy!!!
>>
>> Two - ADD ANOTHER DRIVE TO REPLACE SDA !!!
>>
>> I don't know how to read the smartctl statistics (and I don't know which one
>> is sda!), but if I were you I would fire off a self-test on sda to find out
> [...]

I think Anthony is completely correct. sda dropped out a long time ago. The
event count is very low. Had you been scrubbing your drives on a regular
basis you would likely have discovered this, but had you even looked

cat /proc/mdstat

it would have shown that sda wasn't in the array.

Without sda you would have had (I think) no redundancy in a RAID5. That
said, the array would have continued to work, which it apparently did
because you didn't notice any problems.

NOTE: sda might not be bad - don't throw it away. you might have had
a weird power event or on some reboot it started up late and didn't get
included. From there on it's out of sync and until you take action I don't
think it would ever get added back in automatically, but that doesn't mean
the drive is actually bad. (When bad things happen to good people...) ;-)

The trick now is to find the right set of commands to assemble without
losing data. Anthony is more experienced than me and I have no reason
to distrust his suggestions. Whether a 9-drive RAID6 would fit your enclosure
is another issue. As this array seemed to say 'Living Room' in one form or
another there are issues I'm not clear about. Power consumption, noise
etc.

- Mark