Re: mdadm: Patch to restrict --size when shrinking unless forced

On 10/10/2017 04:54 PM, Wols Lists wrote:
On 10/10/17 21:09, Jes Sorensen wrote:
Both operations would share the current code, just apply a different
sanity check before proceeding.

"grow" in mdadmlish translates to reshape/resize in English. Starting to
introduce new keywords for this really makes no sense and just cause
confusion, so I am not going to support that.

But saying "grow" when the result is a shrink also causes confusion.
Would you accept changing "grow" to "resize"?

Changing an existing keyword that people have been using for years isn't going to make anything better. There are scripts in place, people have systems with old and new installed.

But personally I think adding a new keyword is sensible. Firstly, in
normal use no-one is ever going to want to shrink an array, so this is
rarely going to be used.

And secondly, if you use "grow" to grow an array, it's a "safe"
operation (unless something goes wrong). If you use "grow" to *shrink*
an array, as Eli found out, it's very dangerous.

I think abusing the English language is far more dangerous than adding a
new keyword. No disrespect to them, but you forget your average sysadmin
is, well, average. Handing them a loaded foot-gun with no safety-catch
is *not* a good idea. (And even a good sysadmin will spend little time
with mdadm. Even if they know this now, there's a good chance they'll
forget before they need it again, and it becomes a land-mine waiting to
go off ...)

In this case a good sysadmin will read the man page and follow the instructions.

The English abuse isn't an argument I really buy. There are millions of cases out there for that.

Jes