Re: hung grow

On 10/10/17 15:00, Phil Turmel wrote:
On 10/10/2017 09:37 AM, Anthony Youngman wrote:
On 10/10/17 14:06, Phil Turmel wrote:
On 10/10/2017 08:08 AM, Curt wrote:
On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 8:41 AM, Curt <lightspd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

mdadm: Reshape position is not suitably aligned.

I've never seen this before, and don't have time at the moment
to read the code to understand what it means.

My reaction (having read the thread :-) is that one of the drives being used to try to re-assemble the array was dd'd from a drive that failed before the reshape. So that was "one of 7, no reshape". All of the others were "one of 9, reshape in progress, same position". So if we can get the drives that were reshaping, we should be able to revert it. Question is, can we?

Unless Neil knows some magic, your data is toast.  Sorry.

I guess the only chance is to try and get all the drives that were
reshaping (or copies of them) in a fit state to try and re-assemble the
array. Would the revert work then?

Probably.  But yeah, "fit state".  That's the magic. /-:

So if Curt can do it, I think we stand a chance. A chance.

Or would the reshape crash on hitting
the first bad sector?

The two devices with pending sectors have been ddrescue'd, so no.

We'll just have a few bits of corruption, but then we knew that. Three drives gone from a raid-6, and any successful recovery is going to have *some* damage.

Cheers,
Wol