Re: Encrypted software RAID1 with Debian Stretch

Am 13.09.2017 um 01:30 schrieb Nix:
On 1 Sep 2017, Wols Lists stated:
Okay. Personal preference (and I don't do it myself, but I'd have to
rebuild my system to do it) I would use btrfs for the filesystems. Yes
it has a bad rep for its inbuilt raid, but if all you're doing is backup
snapshots it should be great. Each backup cycle consists of "take a
snapshot, do an in-place rsync", so if only 10MB of live data has
changed, the backup only uses an extra 10MB on the backup drives.

This sounds like downright dangerous advice to me. Surely what matters
for backup is stability? Use something old and boring and stable. btrfs
is the very last thing you should be thinking of for this application.
After all, you'll only need the backups when things are already going
wrong: the last thing you want to find is that you've been using a
filesystem that has betrayed you at the last.

well, SuSE is using it as default for their enterprise Linux an di am using it on an backup-vm for two years (two 2 TB virtual disks) now without any problem on top of LUKS with forcec compression enabled

ext2 is probably too old (it's not maintained much any more)

sorry, but when you are talking about betrayed filesystems above and then take ext2, a non journaled filesystem which takes ages for fsck, in your mouth....

Note also, I've really only covered the raid aspect. I don't know lvm, I
don't know btrfs.

I can tell. if you did, you wouldn't be recommending it for this
application. btrfs is cool and all, but it's also new, and in filesystem
land new means dangerous

with that argumentation... no i better stop comment.....