Re: My MD is too big to resize ext4.

I had this issue a few years ago and decided buying some extra disks to use as scratch was a better move for me. In your shoes I would have found 6 extra SATA ports on a machine (any machine), created the new filesystem and rsynced the data across, then swapped the disks into the production machine.

Brad,

I try to keep disks from different production batch in my MD as proabilistically speaking, this is safe. This means I buy one disk every year and replace the oldest one. This time it is special case that My last 3TB got replaced with new 6TB and now I can actually expand the array. So, the above method may not always work for me. However, I see your point and therefore see merit to it. In any case, I am taking Andreas (and few others) advice and try to build several smaller MD devices instead of one large one. I responded to him on this idea. Let me see if any one sees issues with that.

Ramesh