Re: Disk Monitoring

> In the defense of the hw raid vendor I've worked with quite a bit
> (LSI), I've found you can migrate RAID arrays from controller to
> controller quite easily. So if your raid controller fails, you can
> always grab the current available controller that supports your
> required raid level. I've created arrays in the older 1068 controller
> (PCI-X card) and easily migrated it to a newer 2008 or 2108 based
> controller with no fuss. See's the older array as an 'external' array
> and imports just fine.

This is true for "real" LSI controllers.
But if you look at DELL specs, DELL is supporting only 1 generation to
1 generation migration.
DELL firmware is different from LSI, I'm unsure what could happen by
migrating a raid array
between multiple generations.

And in additiojn to this, DELL doesn't provide any kind of support to
move disks skipping more than 1 generation.