Re: Can we deprecate ioctl(RAID_VERSION)?

On 04/09/2017 07:01 PM, NeilBrown wrote:
On Fri, Apr 07 2017, jes.sorensen@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Next question since I am wearing my 'what is this old stuff doing' hat.
mdassemble? Does anything still use this? The reason is a lot of the
newer features are explicitly included, and switching to sysfs is
effectively going to kill it, unless it gets a major upgrade.

I was never a big fan, of mdassemble, but it is smaller than mdadm and
some people apparently have (or had) space-constrained boot
environments.
Maybe post to the linux-raid list with a subject "mdassemble is going
way, do you care?". ??

Makes sense - looking at the code it wasn't clear if it is even usable in modern times since it ignores sysfs access.

I'll post another message and get out the big hammer!

Cheers,
Jes