Re: linux raid wiki - backup files

Okay, after all that I've ended up not mentioning backup files at all. I get the feeling that in pretty much all modern scenarios they are not required. If we have v1.1 or v1.2 there should be enough spare metadata space, and a modern system shouldn't be using v1.0. It's only of interest if you are doing a bios boot off a mirror with no initramfs. Not a likely option for a system being set up today. And from the man page, mdadm leaves 128K at the end of each device - would a v1.0 array have that? Would that be used for backup?

I probably ought to work out how I can get it to fit neatly in my mdadm page, especially if it's only needed for older setups.

Can you take a look at the page and make sure it's not got anything obviously wrong ...

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/A_guide_to_mdadm

And then I'll try and sort out a page on finding lost arrays - we've had a few on the list recently ...

Cheers,
Wol