Re: linux raid wiki - backup files

On 11/21/2016 03:22 PM, Anthony Youngman wrote:
> Having looked at the man page, this now seems obvious - the superblock
> is at the end, so the data offset is 0. But for a 1.0 array, could we
> create a data offset?
>
> (So, if we created a data offset, we could then move the superblock and
> convert a 1.0 to 1.1 or 1.2? Okay, it can't do it now, but it looks to
> me like it shouldn't be that hard ... ?)

I suppose it would be possible, but defeats the purpose of having data
offset == 0: making non-parity array contents directly readable outside
the array.  Commonly used to raid boot partitions but still have grub
able to read them directly.  Less of an issue today with grub2, I
suppose (but I don't use bootloaders anymore, so I'm not a good resource
for that).

>>> But if we have a data offset with v1.2, a reshape will use that space if
>>> it can rather than needing a backup file?
>>
> I'm guessing that 1.0 and 1.1 defaulted to no data offset to speak of?
> And if we (can) create a decent data offset, we can then use that in
> exactly the same way as with v1.2?

V1.1 and v1.2 are identical except for the superblock offset (one 4k
block difference).  v1.1 reshapes just like v1.2.

Phil