Re: What to do about Offline_Uncorrectable and Pending_Sector in RAID1

On 14 November 2016 at 17:58, Wols Lists <antlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Would you mind explaining why I should use --replace instead of taking
>> out the suspect drive? I guess I lose redundancy for any writes that
>> occur while the rebuild is happening, but I'd plan to do this with the
>> filesystem unmounted so there wouldn't be any writes.
>
> Because a replace will copy from the old drive to the new, recovering
> any failures from the rest of the array. A fail-and-add will have to
> rebuild the entire new array from what's left of the old, stressing the
> old array much more.

Okay, I can see how for RAID5 that might be a bad thing.

In my case however, it sounds like --replace will copy everything from
the failing drive, whereas I'd rather it copied everything from the
good drive. Same stress on the array, less chance of copying dodgy
data.

Bruce
--
Dr Bruce Merry