Re: What to do about Offline_Uncorrectable and Pending_Sector in RAID1

Hi Bruce,

On 11/14/2016 01:50 AM, Bruce Merry wrote:

> Okay, I'll give that script a go to increase my kernel timeout. If I
> understand correctly, it's not the end of the world if the drive
> doesn't support SCTERC, provided I have a long kernel timeout (and
> when things go wrong it might take much longer to recover, but I can
> live with that). Is that correct?

Yes.

>> 2) Trim.  Well-behaved drive firmware guarantees zeros for trimmed
>> sectors, but many drives return random data instead.  Zing, mismatches.
>> It's often unhelpful with encrypted volumes, as even well-behaved
>> firmware can't deliver zeroed sectors *inside* the encryption.
>
> Weee, sounds like fun. I hope it's that. Is there any way to tell
> which blocks mismatch, so that I can tell which files are in trouble
> (assuming I can figure out how to map through LVM, LUKS and
> debuge2fs).

The check operation doesn't log the sector addresses, unfortunately.  At
least I don't see any such operation in the code that increments
mismatch count.  Not even a tracepoint.  Hmmm.

In the meantime, run a "repair" scrub instead of a "check" scrub to
affirmatively force no mismatches.  (Writes first member of mirrors to
the others.)

Phil