Re: Raid settings

On 29/08/16 05:59, Wols Lists wrote:

For my home system I've got 2 x 3TB in a raid1 config. I had intended to
add a 3rd drive and go raid5, but with two Barracudas I'd be an idiot
:-( If I want to go that route, I need three new proper raid drives :-(
I want maximum disk capacity with some redundancy, so raid 5 or 6 makes
most sense for me.

I'll get roasted for suggesting this, but for a home RAID where potential response times in cases of errors are not an issue those Barracudas will be fine. Just make sure you set the appropriate timeouts. It's not like the drives are going to explode in a ball of flames because they don't support ERC, they just won't play nice with the default linux stack timeouts.

Sure, if you are buying new drives spend the extra 20 bucks and get drives that do support ERC, but if what you have works then just keep on keeping on. Add another drive, stretch it out to RAID5 and be happy.

I don't do RAID5 anymore, but for 3 disks with the right configuration it's not awful.

I have a couple of RAID10 here and a couple of RAID6. The RAID10 is an interesting case, because it'll survive a double drive failure some of the time. If the wrong pair fails though it's toast, whereas a RAID6 will survive a double drive failure *all* of the time.

I like your "most suitable for the circumstances" quote though.

I saw some pretty interesting configurations on Sun X4500's a few years ago. 48 drives in varying configurations depending entirely on the projected workload. No right tool for every job.