Re: migration of raid 5 to raid 6 and disk of 2TB to 4TB

Thank you very much for your help

I realized that there's much better idea than my first idea....

I can plug all my drives the sata plug are not a problem :-)
I use around 4.5TB on my current raid 5
I will continue to think on this problem and in the meanwhile try to
find another disk

i didn't think about :
> > In general an in-place migration is a very dangerous operation
> > because it stresses existing hardware a lot plus it uses code
> > that is rarely used and is quite complex. Given that your
> > situation is already compromised.
>
> But copying everything off will stress it just as much, surely? The
> alternatives imho are worse ...

at first i thought about using rsync to do my copy (anyway i don't have a GUI)
at second i thought that an in-place migration would be a nice and
safe operation
now i don't what to think ?
the 3  4TB disk are new but the 2  2TB are 4 year old and consumer
grade (the 4TB are seagate NAS HDD)
so i'm asking myself should I do a copy (with rsync or another tool)
or an in-place migration ? which one is the safest ?

thanks again
Cheers,
Math