Re: recovering failed and unrecognizable RAID5 during mdadm --grow without backup

On 05/13/2016 10:04 AM, Phil Turmel wrote:
> On 05/12/2016 05:37 PM, Claudiu Rad wrote:
>
>> how can i safely stop this reshape and assuming my / partition inside
>> the array is sane enough restart the actual server normally after
>> fsck-ing all volumes?
>
> Well, your root is inside the array.  So you won't be able to boot
> without the array assembling in the initramfs, which needs manual
> intervention to supply the backup file.

Actually, if it still isn't too far into the reshape, you could use
--revert-reshape.  Then it'll reshape back to the original chunk size
what it has done so far.  That might be quicker than finishing the
reshape.  Then you could reboot into your normal OS.

Whether you finish reshaping, or unreshaping, you need to not be
reshaping at all when you boot into your normal OS, if you can't do the
initramfs console.

Phil