recovering failed and unrecognizable RAID5 during mdadm --grow without backup

hello all,

i am a desperate guy that 'successfully' made a chain of mistakes leading to a real personal disaster. i need to try recover this as much as i can as total data loss is really not acceptable. the short story is that having a weak performance 4x4TB RAID5 (full drives allocated to RAID5 besides the small RAID1 partitions for boot) + LVM, after reading a few articles on the internet, i figured out i should try some chunk size 'optimizations' and read that this can be done with my version of mdadm and my kernel (machine running debian 7.9).
the mistakes:

1. no backup of 10TB of data. i am talking about a remote rented
   server, and didn't had any easy way to do backups
2. i did run mdadm --grow -c 128 /dev/md2, it complained about
   --backup-file. run the command again with the file placed in
   /root/...txt, this being a partition inside the vg0 filling
   /dev/md2, thus defeating the purpose. the chunk size was
   automatically set to 512K before, i was trying to reduce it
3. the command returned almost immediately, didn't have any idea that
   this would trigger a background process, although it is now obvious.
   i then tried to see what it has done but after a ls, a second ls in
   root partition was hanging. my web server panel (webmin) hanged in
   'waiting for...'; tried connecting to a new shell, after providing
   credentials, hanging, no cursor. i thought that my ever running
   monitoring system and some other constant I/O processes running with
   higher priority were clogging the system that now had lower
   throughput due to parameter change and entire I/O was filled because
   of this and maybe my experiments with the scheduler. actually nginx
   webserver seemed to be working properly and this had nice -10
   attached, which led me to this conclusion. another mistake
4. after a few minutes of unresponsive machine, decided to send a soft
   CTRL+ALT+DELETE restart signal from datacenter control panel but it
   wouldn't work apparently, thus, decided there is no way to exit this
   situation unless using a hard restart (system reset), and this was
   my final and big mistake not knowing that the array was reshaping.
   the system won't boot and datacenter's rescue (network boot) system
   can't see/assemble the /dev/md2 array

i assume i really did the best to destroy a working array (well, besides not being satisfied with performance and apparent degradation during time). into the rescue system, this is what i see so far:

root@rescue ~ # mdadm --detail --scan
ARRAY /dev/md/0 metadata=1.2 name=rescue:0 UUID=63b58acc:19623c52:c1134929:5d592d29 ARRAY /dev/md/1 metadata=1.2 name=rescue:1 UUID=94713b26:3eca44bc:dee330c8:23443240

root@rescue ~ # mdadm --examine --scan
ARRAY /dev/md/0 metadata=1.2 UUID=63b58acc:19623c52:c1134929:5d592d29 name=rescue:0 ARRAY /dev/md/1 metadata=1.2 UUID=94713b26:3eca44bc:dee330c8:23443240 name=rescue:1 ARRAY /dev/md/2 metadata=1.2 UUID=a935894f:be435fc0:589c1c7f:d5454b43 name=rescue:2
(so here the array appears)

root@rescue ~ # cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md1 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdd2[3] sdc2[2] sdb2[1]
      523968 blocks super 1.2 [4/4] [UUUU]
md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdd1[3] sdc1[2] sdb1[1]
      16768896 blocks super 1.2 [4/4] [UUUU]

root@rescue ~ # mdadm --assemble --scan
mdadm: /dev/md/0 has been started with 4 drives.
mdadm: /dev/md/1 has been started with 4 drives.
mdadm: Failed to restore critical section for reshape, sorry.
       Possibly you needed to specify the --backup-file
Segmentation fault
(this segmentation fault is weird)

root@rescue ~ # mdadm --assemble --scan --invalid-backup
mdadm: /dev/md/2: Need a backup file to complete reshape of this array.
mdadm: Please provided one with "--backup-file=..."

root@rescue ~ # mdadm -V
mdadm - v3.3.2 - 21st August 2014

now.. what can i best do to try as much as i can to recover my array? the backup is actually trapped inside the / partition in the vg0 in the array. after starting the --grow, i estimate it has been running for about 10minutes when i did a force reboot. how can this be reconstructed properly? i have broken it enough, i don't want to make any other move without asking experts.

please, help. this is my greatest nightmare :(

--
Claudiu