Re: Reshape stuck immediately, backup file all nulls

On Sun, Jan 31 2016, Phil Turmel wrote:

> Hi Björn,
>
> On 01/30/2016 07:21 AM, Björn Augustsson wrote:
>
>> The question is, what kind of state am in now?
>
> The kernel is waiting for mdmon (mdadm as a background task) to step
> through the stripes.  mdmon died and the kernel will wait forever.

Close, not quite.

'mdmon' is a background task that mdadm *only* uses for externally
managed metadata: IMSM and DDF.

For a reshape like this mdadm needs a background "mdadm" task.  It used
to just fork, but in these enlightened days it asks systemd to run that
task.
As has already been observed, that failed due to selinux not
understanding.

So it was an 'mdadm' which exited, rather than an mdmon which died...

Maybe you already worked that out.

The days of backup files should be numbered.  New kernels and new mdadm
adjust the data-offset so no back is needed.  In that case, no
background mdadm is needed either.

NeilBrown