Re: md failing mechanism

I was afraid to learn that my latest pack of drives are modern enough to
be castrated already, but it turned out they are not. :) My anime is
safe with the last 5900RPM Hitachi drives available, and they do support
TL;DR. I wish Hitachi made more 5900RPM drives for such purposes...

I have a gut feel that drives of 1TB or less are "old technology" and
even new today are okay. It's the multi-TB drives that have been
castrated...

Note I said "gut feel" - don't trust what I think ... :-)

I'm not sure exactly when did the "castration" started, but I have few Seagate LP's 1,5 and 2 Tb, over 5 years old: they support it. But I found out that they suck in terms of reliability, so I switched to Hitachi. There was this 5900RPM model about four years ago, I think - I believe it was almost the only low-RPM one Hitachi ever did; they support it, too. And I have a 500Gb 2,5" Hitachi Travelstar bought a year or two later, and even they support it! So, I guess I was right; apparently, Hitachi is not into the castration business... Has anybody seen any Hitachi without TL;DR ?..

--
darkpenguin