Re: broken raid level 5 array caused by user error

Hi Phil,

I forgot to add some information: when I was creating the bytestrings from my jpg file, I did not start from 0k but from 100k of the jpg file (to skip the jpg header).

Very interesting.  You could go one step further and compare the jpeg
file contents in the first 1M against the locations found to determine
where the chunks actually start and end on each device.  The final
offset will be a chunk multiple before these boundaries. Or do md5 sums
of 4k blocks to reduce the amount to inspect.

How exactly can I do this? Should I create more Bytestrings and do more brep with them on my physical devices? I have already results from searching bytestrings with an offset of 64k (starting from 100k to 612k of my jpeg file, so 9 bytestrings at all). Should I provide a table of the results?

This will help (and looks correct), but I don't remember what we did to
try to find the beginning of your filesystem.  Did we search for a
filesystem signature?  Please re-summarize that.

Yes, we were searching for an ext4 signature, there were some fragments of old file systems, but you also found two promising signatures, both with this timestamp: Sun, 08 Nov 2015 20:06:00 GMT (which is approximately the last time I mounted the filesystem)

here is a link to the archived message:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/raid/msg50433.html

the device names have changed from the archived post to now:

sdb -> sdf  Serial Number: JK1170YBHYV6MD
sdc -> sdc  Serial Number: JK1100YAG64A1T
sdd -> sde  Serial Number: JK1121YAG7YDLS
sde -> sdd  Serial Number: ML0220F30PZUVD

Thanks and best regards

Mathias