Re: broken raid level 5 array caused by user error

Hi Phil,

first thanks a lot for all your help and time you already spent on me and my problem. I gathered some more information and hope you can help me a bit more.

I found this on serverfault.com and tried to figure out my raid layout using some image file that is stored on my raid for sure:
http://serverfault.com/questions/347606/recover-raid-5-data-after-created-new-array-instead-of-re-using

this is my current device mapping:

JK1100YAG64A1T -> sdc
ML0220F30PZUVD -> sdd (this is the disk I added last)
JK1121YAG7YDLS -> sde
JK1170YBHYV6MD -> sdf

First I tried to figure out the chunk size. I used a jpg file that was stored on the raid for sure and read 8x32 Bytes with an offset of 64k from that file. Than I used bgrep to search for the bytestrings on my physical devices. I found five sequent byte strings on one physical device, so I think the chunk sice must be bigger than 256k.

Because I was pretty sure, that my chunk size is 512k, I was reading 5x32Byte with an offset of 512k from my jpg file, to determine the order of the devices. After bgrep was done, I got the following results:

- Every bytestring was found 3x on my physical devices, I think it's because the file is existing 3x in different folders on my raid device (which is pretty certain, I know that the file is existing 2x at least) - sdd1 seems to have a different offset as the other physical devices, it's the disk I added last after switching from debian to centos some years ago - the following tables show at which offsets and on which physical devices the five byte strings have been found:

offset          sdc1      sdd1      sde1      sdf1
5400bd3000                 2
5400cc3000                           3         1
5400d43000       4                             5

offset          sdc1      sdd1      sde1      sdf1
87b4e52000                 3
87b4f42000       1                             2
87b4fc2000       5                   4

offset          sdc1      sdd1      sde1      sdf1
cb2d87f000                 2
cb2d96f000                                     1
cb2d9ef000       4                   3         5

So I think using the last table is the easiest one to figure out the partition order and the data offset between sdd1 and the other devices?

offset          sdc1      sdd1      sde1      sdf1
cb2d96f000                (2)        P         1
cb2d9ef000       4         P         3         5

If I am right, it would mean, that the order of my physical devices is sdf1 sdd1 sde1 sdc1 (without knowing which one is the first partition) and the offset between sdd1 and the other devices is f0000. Are my assumptions correct? How can I go on with this information?

Thanks a lot in advance

Best regards

Mathias