Re: broken raid level 5 array caused by user error

Hi Phil,

'screen' is your friend for long-running server tasks.  It's installed
in many distros by default.

I should have put "|head -n 50" on the end of that. :-)

I already restarted the process via screen, I just did not expect, that it will take so much time :)

This ^^ is encouraging: Sun, 08 Nov 2015 20:06:00 GMT
It's in the right spot for data offset == 2048 if this
is the first device.

yes, this is about the last time I mounted the array

These ^^ look like backup ext4 superblocks, written Thu, 07 May 2015
13:41:16 GMT.  If you had uptime from May all the way to November, this
is believable.  And there's more of them scattered below.

nope, I moved the array to another box last evening sunday

Another candidate for a first disk, with offset 2048.  Also written
Sun, 08 Nov 2015 20:06:00 GMT.  Either sdc or sde is your first disk.
The other is parity, which is the last disk on the first stripe, with
zeros in the matching offsets of the other two disks.

So, we now know your data offset == 2048, with pretty high confidence.
We know the possible order combinations:
  sdc1 sdb1 sdd1 sde1
  sdc1 sdd1 sdb1 sde1
  sde1 sdb1 sdd1 sdc1
  sde1 sdd1 sdb1 sdc1

We don't know the chunk size for sure. I don't remember when the default
changed from 64 to 512.  I'd try 64 first.

It's possible you could map the standard locations of ext4 superblocks
versus the locations noted above, and work out the order and chunk
size.  I'll leave that as an exercise for you, if you don't want to
just try the various combinations.  :-)

Remember, "fsck -n" after each --create --assume-clean to see if it
works well.

You are great, I'll give it a try and try the combinations, thx a lot!

Mathias