Re: broken raid level 5 array caused by user error

I trimmed the rest because a valid signature was at the very beginning
of the device.  So you had either v0.90 or v1.0 metadata.  I would bet
it's v0.90.  I would also bet that the chunk size is 64k.

I suggest you try that first:

mdadm --create --assume-clean --level=5 --raid-devices=4 --chunk=64 \
  --metadata=0.90 /dev/md1 /dev/sd{d,c,b,e}1

Do *not* mount it yet!

Do a non-destructive fsck to see if my guess was accurate:

fsck -n /dev/md1

Generally, if this has many errors, you would stop the array, and try
the other order combinations (but always with sdd1 first) in turn.

However, you don't say, and we can't tell from the new metadata, how
far into the reshape mdadm had gotten.  If very far, there will be
many errors no matter what order you try, and your array is toast.

But a result with few fsck errors is almost certainly success,
and you can mount your array.

BTW, if you recall where you found the suggestion to re-create your
array, please go back and report there how crazy that is, and point
them at this mailing list.

Phil

Hi Phil,

thanks for your reply and sorry for my mistakes, I'm new with the mailinglist.

I tried your suggestion but it did not work, fsck could not find a superblock. I'm very sure, that I used the metadata v1.2 (and also kind of sure that I used a chunk size of 512k). Sadly I tried to mount the array yesterday when I was trying the different device orders.

Is it helpful to post the hexdump of the other devices as well?

Thanks for your Help!