Re: Advice requested re: hard drive setup for RAID arrays

On 04/11/15 22:30, o1bigtenor wrote:

Those 2 drives are in a separate USB connected tray.
When I ran the smartctl* command that you had me run to check the status
and configuration of the drives it borked on that drive telling me that it was
connected using USB and I needed to add some other command.

Right. USB is a bit of a strange animal for storage. Different USB-SATA interfaces pass or block different commands and it's very vendor specific. I'd not have expected that script to work on USB drives because it was written to solve *my* particular issue and I don't use USB connected drives for anything vaguely critical.

You might be able to get it to work on USB drives, but I'd be very surprised if their error recovery behaviour was suitable or deterministic.

This is what it looks like on my system.
root@srv:~# bin/set_sct
/dev/sda  is good Device Model:     SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series
/dev/sdb  is good Device Model:     SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series
/dev/sdc  is good Device Model:     WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0
/dev/sdd  is good Device Model:     SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series
/dev/sde  is good Device Model:     WDC WD20EFRX-68EUZN0
/dev/sdf  is good Product:              ST3300655SS
/dev/sdg  is good Product:              ST3300655SS
/dev/sdh  is good Product:              ST3300655SS
/dev/sdi  is good Product:              ST3300655SS
/dev/sdj  is good Device Model:     WDC WD20EARS-60MVWB0
/dev/sdk  is good Device Model:     WDC WD20EARS-60MVWB0
/dev/sdl  is good Device Model:     WDC WD20EARS-60MVWB0
/dev/sdm  is good Device Model:     WDC WD20EARS-60MVWB0
/dev/sdn  is good Device Model:     WDC WD20EARS-60MVWB0
/dev/sdo  is good Device Model:     WDC WD20EARS-60MVWB0
/dev/sdp  is good Device Model:     WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0
/dev/sdq  is good Device Model:     WDC WD20EARS-60MVWB0
/dev/sdr  is good Device Model:     WDC WD20EARS-60MVWB0
/dev/sds  is good Device Model:     WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0
/dev/sdt  is good Device Model:     WDC WD20EARS-60MVWB0
/dev/sdu  is  bad Device Model:     INTEL SSDSC2CT240A3
/dev/sdv  is  bad Device Model:     INTEL SSDSC2CT240A3
/dev/sdw  is  bad Device Model:     INTEL SSDSC2CT240A3
/dev/sdx  is good Device Model:     WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0

Notice all my WD Green drives support ERC. I must have got the very last of the drives before they knobbled the firmware.

I iterate *every* drive in the system because every drive in the system is part of an array. Again, it was written to scratch my itch and possibly serve as an (perhaps bad) example to others.

There are 3 arrays on that system. 6xSSD in a RAID10, 4x15k SAS in a RAID10 and 14x2TB SATA in a RAID6. I've experienced catastrophic data loss with RAID twice in 10 years. The first time due to a bad IDE controller dropping multiple drives and md not being as robust about recovery as it is these days (and it was a RADI5), and the second due to a SIL PCIe controller silently corrupting writes which gently sprinkled corruption across 16TB over a long period. Both times by backups were inadequate because I believed RAID==Backup. I know better now.

You need to pay close attention to the whole storage stack to get a reliable system. I'd be doing something to replace those USB connections with something more suitable, but that's just me.