AW: Thoughts on big SSD arrays?

Hi Matt,

maybe not 100% matching... We wanted to start a 22 HDD md raid 6 last
year for one of our storage servers. Doing some tests we experienced
slow random write I/Os and got discouraged. So we headed over to
hardware raid.

To get a clearer picture we did further analysis. The bootleneck arised
from two sources. md issued only 4K I/Os and it always did a reconstruct
write. Thus massive write amplification. Several patches in 4.1 mitigate
the situation. In between I like a lot of things in md raid 4/5/6. Especially
the parity calucation massively benefits from high power CPUs.

Back to the reason for my explanation: The biggest "area under construction"
in md raid 4/5/6 is the internal stripe cache handling. Allocating, flushing
and freeing stripes is based on solid but not tuned algorithms (like LRU).
IIRC it does not even have a scheduling or queueing. That could become
your bottleneck. Maybe massive CPU power easily compensates the gap.

That said. Your read mostly setup might avoid a lot of headaches but you
need to push it to the limits yourself. I do not see benchmarks in the net
that closely fit your case. So I advise to enable ramdisks in the Linux
kernel and build a raid 6 on top of /dev/ramX. A synthetic test according
to your needs should give an idea of scalability and overhead of md raid.

Good luck.

Markus

�ber das Internet versandte E-Mails können unter fremden Namen erstellt oder
manipuliert werden. Deshalb ist diese als E-Mail verschickte Nachricht keine
rechtsverbindliche Willenserklärung.

Collogia
Unternehmensberatung AG
Ubierring 11
D-50678 Köln

Vorstand:
Kadir Akin
Dr. Michael Höhnerbach

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates:
Hans Kristian Langva

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Köln
Registernummer: HRB 52 497

e-mail is strictly forbidden.

e-mails sent over the internet may have been written under a wrong name or
been manipulated. That is why this message sent as an e-mail is not a
legally binding declaration of intention.

Collogia
Unternehmensberatung AG
Ubierring 11
D-50678 Köln