Re: CPU requirements......

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 05:14:51PM +0100, Another Sillyname wrote:
> I've been testing a test RAID6 setup with a 5970 CPU that has worked fine.
>
> As this box is almost exclusively going to be a file server I'm
> thinking of swapping to a G3258 processor, dual core, not overclocked
> and no hyperthreading or turbo features.
>
> The box may also be used to do transcodes of media files from HD mpeg
> to x264 which is pretty CPU intensive......
>
> Are there any likely issues with the RAID running on a substantially
> slower CPU?   I can't seem to find an recent/decent docs suggesting
> minimum CPU requirements for MDADM raid configs.

	you are likely to be I/O bound either on the drives
or on the controller card to the bus/cpu.

	While imperfect, take a look at doing
hdparm -t -T /dev/device-name

	This will give you an idea of what a userland process
will see as the performance for cached and non-cached reads.

	simply: the more you can keep in memory or on fast media
the better off you are.

	- Jared
--
Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx