Re: (R) in mdstat output, clean && degraded

> On Jun 23, 2015, at 6:09 PM, Phil Turmel <philip@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 06/23/2015 05:21 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:
>> Let me know what debugging/details might be interesting to collect.
>
> A good sequence of events (from bash history perhaps) with corresponding
> log messages is always helpful.  Your initial report was pretty good.

I looked, this seems to have aged out.  Plus, bash.. meh.. tcsh :)

>> Based on the Events# being in-sync, I am going to assume that the drives
>> may be operating in a protected-type mode even if the output doesn’t
>> concur.
>
> I think that's unlikely.  In replace, one drive responds for sectors
> below the progress mark, and the other drive responds for sectors above it.

>> I can say this state seems to survive reboots.
>
> That suggests you give a vanilla (or near-vanilla) kernel a try with one
> of the various liveCDs that have them.  I personally find the one from
> sysrescuecd.org to be most convenient, but I'm a gentoo guy :-)

I used to run SLS back in the day before everyone got all crazy with
the distributions.

> Otherwise, consider adding a third drive to see if it will rebuild and
> break the deadlock.

I’m currently out of physical slots for drives so this poses a challenge,
plus the machine is 250 mi away, but I do have console/IPMI.

> I should have to say, but I hope you have a backup :-)

There is a qcow file on the mirrored SSDs which seems to be ok as I was
able to SCP it off to another host once I found space to toss a 800gb
file.  I may even be mailing you from said qcow.

it seems others were able to perhaps recover from not quite exact situations
by stopping and forcing a reassemble, but as copying 800gb would take a few
hours again, I’m nervous to perform such an action.  e.g.:

I guess this means when I visit the machine next week I should take the
large external drive array and sas controller card I have here at home
as a checked bag.

	- Jared--