Re: seagate-"archive"-disks with raid6?

On 13/06/15 21:11, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jun 2015, wiebittewas wrote:
>
>> for a larger archive, we're thinking about buying six
>> 8TB-Archive-Disks from Seagate to build a 4+2 Raid6-Array.
>>
>> now we've seen, that these disks are told not-recommended for raid,
>> because they lack ERC/TLER (like many desktop-disks)
>
> Not only that.
>
> You might want to read:
>
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-ide/msg50641.html
>
> These drives are different beasts than regular HDDs, and we seem to be
> seeing problems with them just the way SSDs were problematic in the
> beginning.
>
> So you might want to reconsider using SMR drives for RAID use. I was
> considering them until I read up on them, and then I decided it was too
> early in the deployment cycle to use them for RAID use.

I didn't know these were shingled drives ... does the OP know what a
shingled drive is?

Basically, to get decent performance out of these drives, you have to
stream data at them - they're more like a tape-drive than a
random-access disk. So. They're great for backups, much less so for
normal use.

Cheers,
Wol