Re: Migrating a RAID 5 from 4x2TB to 3x6TB ?

On 09/06/15 20:46, Wols Lists wrote:
> Please expand! Having read the article, it doesn't seem to say anything
> more than what is repeated time and time on this list - MAKE SURE YOUR
> DRIVES ARE DECENT RAID DRIVES.

Large RAID5 arrays are a bad idea because of the probability of
unrecoverable read errors occurring during a rebuild, which increases
with the size of the array.

Decent RAID drives will have better reliability than indecent-ones
(haha), but in absolute terms their URE rates are still going to
increase with array size.

> If you have ERC, then the odd "soft" read error doesn't matter. If you
> don't have ERC, then your data is at risk when you replace a drive, and
> it doesn't matter how big your drives are, it's the array size that matters.

Indeed. Pierre was proposing to further increase the size of his RAID5
array, and I was advising him against it because of the above.