Re: Which physical device failed?

On 05/27/2015 08:27 AM, Roman Mamedov wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2015 14:10:03 +0200
> Carsten Aulbert <Carsten.Aulbert@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 05/27/2015 02:04 PM, Michael Munger wrote:
>>> Or, does the OS have access to serial numbers, etc...?
>>>
>>> I have to guide someone through a drive replacement on the phone, and it
>>> would be great if I could tell them exactly which drive to swap out...
>>
>> If you have direct knowledge, which serial number is where, you could
>> use hdparm -I /dev/sdX or smartctl -a /dev/sdX against the still
>> reachable drives.
>
> If /dev/sdc is still present in the system (even if not responding correctly to
> hdparm or smartctl anymore), you should be able to find its serial number from
> the udev symlink that was registered earlier, by running e.g.:
>
>   ls -la /dev/disk/by-id/ | grep sdc$
>
> Serial number is typically the last piece of the ID, after the manufacturer
> name and model number.

This is one of the reasons I wrote lsdrv [1], especially after I noticed
that the port sequence it reports is stable for the various ports on
every mobo  and sata expansion card I've handled.  Per controller, at least.

I save of copy of an lsdrv report for each system I commission so that
there's no ambiguity later.

Phil

[1] https://github.com/pturmel/lsdrv