Re: raid5 reshape is stuck

On Thu, 21 May 2015 08:31:58 -0400 (EDT) Xiao Ni <xni@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

If continue_via_systemd succeeded, that implies that
  systemctl start mdadm-grow-continue@mdXXX.service

succeeded.  So
   mdadm --grow --continue /dev/mdXXX

was run, so that mdadm should call 'child_monitor' and update sync_max when
appropriate.  Can you check if it does?

>    And if it want to set sync_max to 0 until the backup has been taken. Why does not
> set sync_max to 0 directly, but use the value reshape_progress? There is a little confused.

When reshaping an array to a different array of the same size, such as a
4-driver RAID5 to a 5-driver RAID6, then mdadm needs to backup, one piece at
a time, the entire array (unless it can change data_offset, which is a
relatively new ability).

If you stop an array when it is in the middle of such a reshape, and then
reassemble the array, the backup process need to recommence where it left off.
So it tells the kernel that the reshape can progress as far as where it was
up to before.  So 'sync_max' is set based on the value of 'reshape_progress'.
(This will happen almost instantly).

Then the background mdadm (or the mdadm started by systemd) will backup the
next few stripes, update sync_max, wait for those stripes to be reshaped, then
discard the old backup, create a new one of the few stripes after that, and
continue.

Does that make it a little clearer?

And in response to your other email:
>     Does it should return 1 when pid > 0 and status is not zero?

No.  continue_via_systemd should return 1 precisely when the 'systemctl'
command was successfully run.  So 'status' must be zero.

Thanks,
NeilBrown