Re: Fwd: Installing Linux directly onto RAID6 Array...........

On Sun, 24 May 2015, Another Sillyname wrote:

So I now have 5 partitions.

a  -  bios_boot
b  -  efi
c  -  boot
d  -  root
e  -  swap

I'll be adding one more when I'm happy this is working.

f  -  home

3.  Using the methods above I have now created a bootable fedora
system, on a single drive in preparation to now RAID the required
partitions.  However my concern comes regarding the mdadm metadata,
simplistically metadata=1.2 apparently writes it's superblock to 4k
after the start of the device, this is exactly where my efi partition
(b above) starts, so my concern is will this superblock overwrite or
mess with my current partition table?

4.  If the next stage works then I think what I'll actually end up
doing is......

scrub what I have now.

create the arrays before running the Fedora Live installer (this
assumes the installer will see /md[x] devices and allow them to be
used to install to). Then incorporate the mdadm.conf data into the
initramfs and regenerate initramfs.

Ideas/Thoughts/Criticisms?

You don't want to run MD on the entire drive in this case, you most likely want to create multiple RAID1 and RAID6 mirrors. RAID1 your boot, root and swap, then run RAID6 on your home partition. Use use superblock type that creates the superblock at the end for the RAID1 partitions.

Also, you don't want to refer to "sda" when booting, you want to use UUID=<uuid> in fstab, crypttab etc.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx