Re: Data corruption after resizing partition, when using bitmaps

NeilBrown wrote:
> On Wed, 20 May 2015 02:31:50 -0400 Jim Paris <jim@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > NeilBrown wrote:

> > > This is one of the big reasons why 1.x was invented.

> > > It is perfectly acceptable to have the various devices in an array of
> > > different sizes.  Unfortunately I don't think there is anything that mdadm
> > > can usefully do here.
> > >
> > > Thanks for the report anyway,
> > > NeilBrown
> >
> > Hi Neil,
> >
> > Can we add u64 device_size to bitmap_super_t, and ensure that it
> > matches the actual current device size before trusting the bitmap?
>
> Well .... we could, but the bitmap_super is currently the same on all
> devices.  This would  make it different.
> And if we a going to change the metadata, why not just convert from 0.90 to
> 1.0?

My thinking was that the extra field could be added to bitmap_super
automatically -- just start writing it now, but only use it to
determine bitmap validity if the current value is non-zero.  No
explicit user-visible conversion.

I see your point; it's a bit strange to change outdated stuff.  But I
also feel that if there's something mdadm could have done to prevent
my data loss, that's worth putting in there.

>  mdadm --stop /dev/mdXX
>  mdadm --assemble /dev/mdXX --update=metadata /dev/...list-of-devices....
>
> You might need to remove the bitmap first, and add it back afterwards.

Cool.  Much simpler than what's currently listed in the wiki for that
conversion.

Thanks Neil.
xJim