Re: Help needed recovering from raid failure

I booted Linux from a USB stick (which is on /dev/sdc1 hence changing the numbering),
in recovery mode. Below is the output of /proc/mdstat and
mdadm --examine. It looks like somehow the /dev/sdd2 and /dev/sde2 drives took on the
super block of the /dev/md127 device (my swap file). May that have been done by the boot from
the Ubuntu USB stick?

Your event counters are strange, 2 drives are showing 18014, and two drives are showing event count of 26. Two drives show an update time of the 26:th, two show update time on the 27:th of April. This doesn't make much sense.

If I were you, I would try to make really really sure that I had unplugged the drive that first went offline, then I would use "mdadm --assemble --force <md> <component drives>" to get the array up in degraded mode, I would then mount it read-only and try to copy the most important information onto some other disk. After that you can try to add the new drive you bought and let it re-sync. Most likely this will not work as you most likely have read errors on at least one other drive. You can use "smartctl" from "smartmontolls" to verify. Most likely you will have "pending sectors" which are sectors that can't be read on at least one other drive.

Also, I recommend you do this:

for x in /sys/block/sd[a-z] ; do
        echo 180  > $x/device/timeout
done

echo 4096 > /sys/block/md0/md/stripe_cache_size

Change md0 above to your md-device. This will increase your kernel timeouts and lessen the risk that drives will be considered dead when they are only having problems reading a block.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx