Re: Paranoid mode for RAID-1 ?

On 2015-04-27 16:49 +1000, NeilBrown wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Apr 2015 08:37:59 +0200 (CEST) Jean-Baptiste Thomas
> <cau2jeaf1honoq@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>·
> > I'm looking for a way to get MD to operate in a mode in which
> > reading a sector from a RAID-1 device would not succeed until it
> > got matching data from at least two components.
>·
> No, there is no such thing.

Thanks, now I can move on to working on plan B.

> There "should" be no circumstance which would make it worth while.
> A drive may well report an error, but it should *never* report
> incorrect data as though it were correct.  That is horribly
> broken.

Isn't it. <g>

> The cost of running in a "safe" mode would be high, and the
> likely benefit extremely low.  So it is unlikely that anyone
> would use it for long.  So implementing it seems rather
> pointless.

How high would the cost be ?

Seems to me that a 4-component RAID-1 with a 2-component quorum
would incur no more I/O or CPU overhead than, say, a 4-component
RAID-6. Less, in fact, unless parity computation is faster than
memcmp().

Given the choice between that sort of cost and the possibility
of massive data corruption because one drive had a hiccup, I
would not even THINK about running without it.

> That said: if someone were to provide an implementation I
> would certainly consider reviewing it and adding it to md.

Great. Don't think it'll be me, though. :-/