Re: RAID 5 "magicaly" become a RAID0

Good morning Thomas,

On 04/16/2015 04:53 AM, Thomas MARCHESSEAU wrote:
> Hi Team ,
>

>> Very good to hear this.
> It crashed once , but after a reboot and re-assemble ,  i¹ve backuped
> _everything_
>
> -> Thank you very much for you support !

You're welcome.

>> Yes, just --add a spare device to the array, then --grow --level=6 to
>> start a live reshape.
>
> I tryed , but it failed with many buffer I/O error , ( mostly on the  last
> 4 drives , ( not sure , but seems hosted on the same chipset)
> And now , i have tons of :
> Buffer I/O error on device sdf , logical block 12
> Š  logical block 11 Š and so on
>
> Same on SDH

You mentioned a possibly loose sata cable causing the initial problem.
I'm not so sure.  I think you should check your power supply.

The smartctl reports you supplied eliminate the most common problem,
timeout mismatch, as you have nice raid-rated drives.  The next most
common problem I've seen is insufficient power, which is most apparent
when writing.

Add up all of the power consumption ratings of your hardware to make
sure a new power supply is suitable.  And if you have/get a multiple
rail supply, make sure you spread the load across the independent circuits.

Phil