Fra: Mikael Abrahamsson [mailto:swmike@xxxxxxxxx]
Sendt: 19. februar 2015 15:24
Til: John Andre Taule
Kopi: linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Emne: Re: mdadm raid 5 one disk overwritten file system failed

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015, John Andre Taule wrote:

> I'm a bit surprised that overwriting anything on the physical disk
> should corrupt the file system on the raid. I would think that would
> be similar to a disk crashing or failing in other ways.

Errr, in raid5 you have data blocks and parity blocks. WHen you overwrite
one of the component drives with zeroes, you're effectively doing the same
as writing 0:es to a non-raid drive every 3 $stripesize. You're zero:ing a
lot of the filesystem information.

> What you say that Linux might not have seen the disk as failing is
> interesting. This could explain why the file system got corrupted.

Correct. There is no mechanism that periodically checks the contents of the
superblock and fails the drive if it's not there anymore. So the drive is
never failed.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx