mvsas panics and dies when attached to a port extender on newer kernels

Not %100 sure what group this one should go to.  As this is on my
Linux RAID system; I hope I got the right group. I think I found a
mvsas bug.

My Debian Jessie system was running great on a 3.18 kernel.  Changed
cases to a newer supermicro case with a SAS expander backplane.  That
was the only hardware change.  When ever I boot, the system kernel
panics.

To make a very long debugging story short, I think there is an issues
with the mvsas driver. It works, with older kernels, and breaks on
newer kernels.

3.2.65-1+deb7u2 works
3.9.0 Gentoo CD works
3.16+ all fail
Attached are 3 kernel panics on 3.16+ kernels.

Hardware is a Supermicro X8SIE, with a "Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
88SE6440 SAS/SATA PCIe controller"

Is this a known bug?

At this point I have two options:
Stick with the old kernel
Buy a new card running a better supported chipset

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Adam