re: no good deed goes unpunished...

From:	Roger Heflin <rogerheflin@xxxxxxxxx>
To:	Dave Stevens <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc:	Linux RAID <linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: no good deed goes unpunished...
Date:	Thu, 26 Mar 2015 19:04:45 -0500
Sender:	linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

you should probably do cat /proc/mdstat

It is likely that the livecd may have already tried to assemble it,
and that the busy is because it is already in use.

If it is already assembled and you want to redo it first you will need
to stop the assembled array to be able to redo it.

so this is what I did while running the live distro:

# cat /proc/mdstat

Personalities :

md12 : inactive   sda2[0](S)
	732467520 blocks

md10 : inactive sdc2[2](S) sdb2[1](S)
	1464935040 blocks

unused devices: <none>

It seemed to me that matters were needlessly complicated by possible residual issues from my earlier unsuccessful attempts so I rebooted.

------------------------------ reboot ----------------------

# mdadm -A /dev/md13 /dev/sdb2 /dev/sdc2

mdadm : /dev/md13 assembles from 1 drive - not enough to start the array

# cat /proc/mdstat

Personalities :

md13 : inactive sdc2[2](S) sdb2[1](S)

	1464935040 blocks

unused devices : <none>

# mkdir aa

# mount /dev/md13 aa

mount: /dev/md13: can't read superblock

So I still don't see what to do. Advice welcome.

Dave

--
"As long as politics is the shadow cast on society by big business,
the attenuation of the shadow will not change the substance."

-- John Dewey