Re: Last working drive in RAID1

On Wed, 04 Mar 2015 15:48:57 -0700 Eric Mei <meijia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Neil,
>
> I see, that does make sense. Thank you.
>
> But it impose a problem for HA. We have 2 nodes as active-standby pair,
> if HW on node 1 have problem (e.g. SAS cable get pulled, thus all access
> to physical drives are gone), we hope the array failover to node 2. But
> with lingering drive reference, mdadm will report array is still alive
> thus failover won't happen.
>
> I guess it depends on what kind of error on the drive. If it's just a
> media error we should keep it online as much as possible. But if the
> drive is really bad or physically gone, keeping the stale reference
> won't help anything. Back to your comparison with single drive /dev/sda,
> I think MD as an array should do the same as /dev/sda, not the
> individual drive inside MD, for them we should just let it go. How do
> you think?

If there were some what that md could be told that the device really was gone
and just just returning errors, then I would be OK with it being marked as
faulty and being removed from the array.

I don't think there is any mechanism in the kernel to allow that.  It would
be easiest to capture a "REMOVE" event via udev, and have udev run "mdadm" to
tell the md array that the device was gone.

Currently there is no way to do that ... I guess we could change raid1 so
that a 'fail' event that came from user-space  would always cause the device
to be marked failed, even when an IO error would not...
To preserve current behaviour, it should require something like "faulty-force"
to be written to the "state" file.   We would need to check that raid1 copes
with having zero working drives - currently it might always assume there is
at least one device.

NeilBrown