Re: raid0: "clean" state on drive failure/removal

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 20:54:32 +0000 Sushma Gurram <Sushma.Gurram@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A basic question on raid0 behavior.
>
> When a drive fails/removed in a raid0 array, “mdadm –detail” reports the array
> state as clean instead of failed.
>
> It appears that the drive is whacked out of the array, but that array slot
> continues to show “active sync” state.
>
> I/O to the failed drive errors out. However, it appears that I/O to other drives
> in the raid0 array would succeed. How would the user know about the array state
> and potential data loss? Should the array information be cached, drive
> failure/removals be monitored and checked against the cached information?

The user would know about potential data loss in *exactly* they same way as
if half the sectors on a single hard-drive stopped working.

i.e. the filesystem would complain.

> Could anyone please explain the reason for this behavior of not reporting a
> raid0 array as failed?

RAID0 is not really RAID - there is no redundancy.
So it isn't treated like RAID.

RAID0 is simply a mapping off linear addresses onto multiple devices.
There is no sense in which the array as a whole "fails", or any value in
marking a device as "failed".

If there is something wrong, then IO requests will fail.  Not necessarily all
IO requests, but some.  Just like a normal drive that has partially failed.

NeilBrown