Re: Metadata > 0.90 and auto-assemble

On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 16:54:12 -0500 Joshua Kinard <kumba@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 02/22/2015 16:29, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Joshua Kinard <kumba@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I'd like to
> >> avoid this if possible, as I haven't had to use an initramfs for normal booting
> >> in the past, as long as I stay on metadata 0.90.  So I thought I'd ask what the
> >> official stance is on this.
> >
> > https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Autodetect
> >
> > Official stance is that it's deprecated, but people still use it.
>
> Yeah, but it's a pretty useful feature.  I can't see why autodetect for simple
> setups (several disks or partitions and building a basic array out of them) is
> maintained, while userspace autodetect is required for the more complex setups.

The in-kernel autodetect is only maintained because tearing it out and
throwing it away (my preferred option) would be a user-visible regression,
and those are not permitted.

The user-space version is more general and more flexible.  If the
kernel-space version works for you, you can keep using it.  But if you want
features added to it, you are out of luck.

As others have said, creating a simple initrd is really not that hard.  Once
you spend the time to make it work, you will find that it "just works" and
wonder why you ever cared before.

There is even a README.initramfs in the mdadm source.  It was written 10
years ago so I cannot promise it is 100% correct, but it is a reasonably good
and very simple starting point.

NeilBrown