Re: kernel refuses devices mdadm -E accepts

Hi Wesley,

On 01/19/2015 06:01 PM, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:

> I was in the middle of a reshape of this 4-disk raid5 when something
> rebooted the computer. The system seems otherwise fine, and I suspect
> someone in the house.
>
> What is the correct next step? Should I try --run ? I would obviously
> prefer not to lose the data on this array. I expect that the reshape
> was NOT complete, so just recreating the array will probably corrupt
> its contents.
>
> Kernel version 3.17.8 and mdadm version 3.3.2.

There have been many bug fixes to mdadm since that kernel was retired.
You should temporarily boot a current liveCD (my favorite is
systemrescuecd) and do "mdadm -Afv /dev/mdX /dev/sdX ..."

Show us the output of that if it doesn't work (it should resume your
reshape).

When it is done reshaping/recovering, consider upgrading your kernel.

> Thanks for any help. If I lose this array, I am going to face a lot of grief...

I shouldn't have to say this, but RAID is for availability, not for data
security.  You still need a backup system for any important data.

Phil