Re: Re: Re : Re: Big trouble during reassemble a Raid5

sylvain> Hi John,
sylvain> I do the summary of disk and states :
sylvain> /dev/sdb : 1TB : OK
sylvain> /dev/sdc : 1TB : ??
sylvain> /dev/sdd : 2TB : ddrescued
sylvain> /dev/sde : 3TB : Not synchronized

sylvain> Something is wrong in this list.  It seems that i have remove
sylvain> a wrong disk.

It might be that is the problem.  One thing to do is to run 'smartctl'
on all the disks and get the UUIDs/serial numbers so you can confirm
which disk is which.

The 'lsscsi' is also useful to help make sure you know which drives
are mapped to which drive letter, since they can move around.  But if
you do get a chance, try what I suggested, which is to assemble with
just three of the drives.  Maybe don't even hook up /dev/sdc1 at all
to the system.

sylvain> I should investigate with my friends tomorrow evening for us,
sylvain> afternoon for you.  I will on the road tomorrow.  And it is
sylvain> may be free for you?

I won't be around tomorrow afternoon, January 1st, I've got a birthday
party to attend.  I'll try to be online at some point, but it's not
likely.

sylvain> I wish you a good eve for this evening, and see you next year ;-).

Happy New Year to you and your friends and family as well!  Enjoy!  I
will talk with you in the new year for sure.

sylvain> ----- Mail original -----
sylvain> De: "John Stoffel" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
sylvain> À: "Sylvain Depuille" <sylvain.depuille@xxxxxxxxxxx>
sylvain> Cc: "John Stoffel" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
sylvain> Envoyé: Mercredi 31 Décembre 2014 18:27:03
sylvain> Objet: Re: Re: Re : Re: Big trouble during reassemble a Raid5

Sylvain> But the missing disk is the rescued disk!

sylvain> I understand that, but we're looking to get the RAID5 up and working
sylvain> again, but the event count looks wrong on that disk, so it shouldn't
sylvain> be used to re-assemble the array.

sylvain> There is going to be some data loss here, but let's minimize it and
sylvain> get the array going again.

Sylvain> And the 3TB should be rebuild, because i have change It just
Sylvain> before the issue :-(sorry iPhone in French)

sylvain> I think it's ok, since the other three disks have matching event
sylvain> counts. It's the /dev/sdc1 that's behind the rest, so it needs to be
sylvain> excluded at first.

sylvain> Try it out and let me know.

Sylvain> I haven't mailings list in copy because html :-(
Sylvain> If necessary i Will revend the mail from House!

Sylvain> Best Regards
Sylvain> Sylvain Depuillr

Sylvain> Envoyé depuis un telephone portable

>>> Le 31 déc. 2014 à 17:08, John Stoffel <john@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

sylvain> It's my fault too, because the mailing list doesn't accept
sylvain> HTML format. And my provider doesn't offer plain text option
sylvain> with the mobile site :-(

>>> It's a total pain at times. I'm still reading email with plain ascii
>>> most of the time, I don't care for HTML email generally since it just
>>> gets in the way.

sylvain> Back to the issue :

sylvain> I have stop the raid.
sylvain> mdadm --stop /dev/md2
sylvain> mdadm: stopped /dev/md2

sylvain> cat /proc/mdstat
sylvain> Personalities : [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
sylvain> unused devices: <none>

sylvain> And when i try to re-assemble, the command is aborting :
sylvain> mdadm --assemble --force /dev/md2 /dev/sd[bcde]1
sylvain> mdadm: /dev/md2 assembled from 2 drives and 1 spare - not enough to start the array.