Re: Raid5 drive fail during grow and no backup

> This is a problem you haven't solved yet, I think. The raid array should have fixed this bad sector for you without kicking the drive out. The scenario is common with "green" drives and/or consumer-grade drives in general.
> Then you can set up your array to properly correct bad sectors, and set your system to look for bad sectors on
> a regular basis.

What is the behavior of mdadm when a disk reports a read error?
- reconstruct the data, deliver it to the fs and otherwise ignore it?
- set the disk to fail?
- reconstruct the data, rewrite the failed data and continue with any action?
- rewrite the failed data and reread it (bypassing the cache on the HD)?

Do read operation always read the parity too in order to detect problems early
before a sector on a other disks fails?

Can the behavior be configured in any way? I found no documentation regarding this.

Patrick