Re: Raid5 drive fail during grow and no backup

Hi Vince,

On 11/03/2014 09:45 AM, Vince wrote:
Phil Turmel <philip <at> turmel.org> writes:

[trim /]

You haven't (yet) lost your array.  It's just degraded.  You should
investigate why the one drive was kicked out of the array instead of
being rewritten properly (green drives?).  In the meantime, assembly
with --force should give you access to the data to grab anything
critically important.

[trim /]

Hi Phil,

thx for your reply.
Already have the raid clean and up.

Very good to hear you haven't lost your data.

My drive was kicked due to read errors (bad sectors).
I fixed the bad sectors with hdparm --write-sector $bad_sector /dev/sdx

This is a problem you haven't solved yet, I think. The raid array should have fixed this bad sector for you without kicking the drive out. The scenario is common with "green" drives and/or consumer-grade drives in general.

If you want to be sure your array is safe for the future, you should search this list's archives for "timeout mismatch", "scterc", and/or "URE". Then you can set up your array to properly correct bad sectors, and set your system to look for bad sectors on a regular basis.

Phil