Re: PATCH: RAID10-layout-descriptions

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 18:34:28 +0200 Christoph Anton Mitterer
<calestyo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-06-16 at 06:43 +1000, NeilBrown wrote:
> > tbl I can live with.  Unicode I cannot.
> > In some contexts Unicode may be ok (non-English words) but not for
> > line-drawing characters and not for special punctuation.
> Well but you know, that tbl(1) won't work for your PDF/HTML rendering
> either? At least it didn't when I checked it.

True, it won't work for some renderers.  That is unfortunate but I am willing
to make some sacrifices I guess.

 man -l -Thtml md.4 > md.html

creates some HTML and some png files which look readable in a browser,
including the tables.

> Anyway... I guess there's no benefit in discussing over Unicode/tbl
> here... :)
>

> I've attached a new set of patches... the second replaces all the
> unicode stuff with similar ASCII chars.
> I'd suggest to merge both and not just the result of them, so we have
> the fancy Unicode stuff in git as well, should we ever decide to upgrade
> to post 1991 ;-)

Thanks for being accommodating of my irrational preferences.

> Hope that helps and you can merge them largely as is,... please tell me
> whether or not (or whether other tweaks are needed)... so that I can
> clean up that branch.

I've merged all your patches together and made a few little modification of
my own - nothing major.
I changed the Makefile to use "man -l filename" as that seems to be the
"right" thing to do, rather than "nroff -man".  So tbl is handled correctly.

I've added a separate patch with the biggest change I made which was to
replace "Device" with "Dev" in the 5-device arrays so that that table fits in
the width of a (standard, old fashioned, 72 column) page.

> Still have another branch with information you gave me back then, about
> how reads and writes are done... I'll come up with that in another mail.

Should I just pull your description-of-reads-and-writes branch (and impose my
style requirements on it)?

Thanks for your efforts and persistence!!

NeilBrown